Skip to main content

In 2023, the Catalan Government, through ACCIÓ-Catalonia Trade & Investment, attracted €880 million ($950 million) in foreign investment. This figure marks a 42% increase from the previous year and stands as the highest since 1985.

Roger Torrent, the region’s Minister for Business and Labour, announced these figures at a press event. Albert Castellanos, Secretary for Business and Competitiveness and CEO of ACCIÓ-Catalonia Trade & Investment, also attended. According to the 2023 annual report from Catalonia Trade & Investment, a total of 112 projects by foreign companies were formalized in 2023. This number represents a 19% increase over the previous year. It marks the first time the number of projects exceeded 100.

Moreover, these investments created 4,533 jobs, a 31% increase from 2022. Of the 112 projects, 42% were greenfield investments, while the remaining 58% were expansions or new investments by already established companies in the region. Torrent emphasized that these record figures demonstrate Catalonia’s competitiveness in the business world and international investors’ trust in the region. He noted that these investments help position Catalonia internationally and support the transformation of the country’s economic and business model.

Over the past five years (2019-2023), ACCIÓ-Catalonia Trade & Investment attracted €2.955 billion in investment. This amount shows a 90% increase from the previous five-year period (2014-2018). During these five years, foreign investments in Catalonia created almost 20,000 jobs. This is 23% more than in the previous period.

In terms of sector distribution, 67% of the foreign direct investment (FDI) was industrial, 26% went to technology sectors, 14% to life sciences, 12% to automotive, 11% to video games, and 10% to food. Investments in Catalonia now come from more than 30 different countries, reflecting the region’s ability to attract diverse new projects. The main countries contributing to these investments include the US (21%), France (13%), and the UK (9%). This success in attracting investments from various countries highlights Catalonia’s strength in diversifying its sources for new projects.

Currently, ACCIÓ-Catalonia Commerce and Investment is working on nearly 600 investment projects. Notably, almost 50% of the companies that invested in Catalonia in 2023, with the support of the Catalan government, plan to invest there again in the future.

Related Article here

More news here